El Dorado® Salvo™ 1kg 2023
Flavours: Pineapple, watermelon, apricot, candy, grass
El Dorado® is a relatively new kid on the block. Created by Moxee Valley-based CLS Farms, LLC in 2008, it was released to the public in 2010. A product of the Yakima Valley cooler climate, it features a uniquely fruity flavor profile in addition to desirable bittering and aromatic properties.
High vigor, high alpha acids, lots of oils and resins, good storage stability and an exceptional yield also make this, on paper at least, an outstanding commercial variety. It exhibits bold tropical fruit flavors, said to be reminiscent of pineapple and mango, in addition to a resinous back note. On the nose, it imbues aromas of pear, watermelon, stone fruits and even candy. To date, it has seen use in wheat beers, Pale Ales and IPAs.
When looking at ways to improve aroma intensity, Salvo™ and Aroma Extract are the two best choices. Salvo™ delivers impactful variety specific flavor and aroma as a fractionated form of CO2 hop extract. In this product, α-acids have been removed to explicitly enhance aroma with little to no added bitterness. Salvo™ is best used as a late kettle/whirlpool addition to partially replace leaf or pellet hops, and since Salvo™ contains no vegetative matter, Salvo™ can help mitigate beer yield loss.
- Boost aroma/flavor
- No bitterness
- No added vegetative matter
- Initial trials have been shown to extend shelf-life in most applications
Usage & Methods
- Late kettle aroma/flavor – add late in the boil period or when filling whirlpool
- Liquify the extract by warming the can and pour contents into the kettle/whirlpool
- Best homogenization can be achieved by a strong mixing flow during early portion of cast out to whirlpool or by adding 5-10 minutes prior to the end of boil
- When calculating dosage, start with 10 grams oil / bbl.
- Subject to beer style and aroma/flavor preferences
Notes & Suggestions
- Pre-warm cans using a hot water bath (> 140°F) or store on a hot surface (i.e. kettle dome or boiler room)