Cascade Salvo™ 1kg 2023Regular price $0.00
Pioneered in the 1950's by Jack Horner and his team at Oregon State University, Cascade has since gone on to become one of the most popular American hops of all time. Released in 1972, Cascade now represents around 10% of all hops grown in the US.
It features an excellent vigor and yield and when brewed exudes a distinct spicy citrus aroma with hints of grapefruit. Well suited to just about any ale and lager, its use is particularly popular in American Pale Ales. Its relatively poor storage stability tends to be a non-issue with its popularity and subsequent large production volumes from major US breweries ensuring harvests don't sit idle for long.
Advantages of Salvo
- Boost aroma/flavour
- No bitterness
- No added vegetative matter
- Initial trials have been shown to extend shelf-life in most applications
Usage & Methods
- Late kettle aroma/flavour – add late in the boil period or when filling whirlpool
- Liquify the extract by warming the can and pour contents into the kettle/whirlpool
- Best homogenization can be achieved by a strong mixing flow during early portion of cast out to whirlpool or by adding 5-10 minutes prior to the end of boil
- When calculating dosage, start with 10 grams oil / bbl.
- Subject to beer style and aroma/flavor preferences
Notes & Suggestions
- Pre-warm cans using a hot water bath (> 140°F) or store on a hot surface (i.e. kettle dome or boiler room)