Centennial Salvo™ 1kg 2023
Centennial owes its existence to a mix of Brewer's Gold, Fuggle, East Kent Golding and Bavarian hops. Developed in 1974 and released in 1990, Centennial was pioneered by Charles (Chuck) Zimmerman and S.T. Kenny at Washington State University. It is at times referred to as super Cascade because of its similar citric characteristic. Centennial is a much-celebrated hop in its versatility with its depth of bitterness and forward aroma two characteristics that balance each other beautifully.
It is well suited to Pale Ales and IPAs with its high alpha content and is floral in both flavour and aroma. Centennial has had its ups and downs in the commercial brewing industry but is currently experiencing a return to popularity, particularly among leading craft breweries.
Advantages to Salvo
- Boost aroma/flavor
- No bitterness
- No added vegetative matter
- Initial trials have been shown to extend shelf-life in most applications
Usage & Methods
- Late kettle aroma/flavor – add late in the boil period or when filling whirlpool
- Liquify the extract by warming the can and pour contents into the kettle/whirlpool
- Best homogenization can be achieved by a strong mixing flow during early portion of cast out to whirlpool or by adding 5-10 minutes prior to the end of boil
- When calculating dosage, start with 10 grams oil / bbl.
- Subject to beer style and aroma/flavor preferences
Notes & Suggestions
- Pre-warm cans using a hot water bath (> 140°F) or store on a hot surface (i.e. kettle dome or boiler room)