Comet Salvo™ 1kg 2023Regular price $0.00
Comet has an intriguing parentage of English Sunshine and a native American hop, bringing out a "wild American" flavour. Released in 1974 by the USDA, Comet was originally bred to address the needs for higher alpha hops. Today, it is no longer in commercial production and is somewhat difficult to find.
Comet's flavour profile consists of zesty grapefruit, lemon and some orange notes. It does feature solid bittering capabilities and traditionally brewers considered it best suited as a bittering agent for American-style lagers. Recently however, there has been a surge in its use as a dry-hop in ales and IPA's.
Advantages to Salvo
- Boost aroma/flavor
- No bitterness
- No added vegetative matter
- Initial trials have been shown to extend shelf-life in most applications
Usage & Methods
- Late kettle aroma/flavor – add late in the boil period or when filling whirlpool
- Liquify the extract by warming the can and pour contents into the kettle/whirlpool
- Best homogenization can be achieved by a strong mixing flow during early portion of cast out to whirlpool or by adding 5-10 minutes prior to the end of boil
- When calculating dosage, start with 10 grams oil / bbl.
- Subject to beer style and aroma/flavor preferences
Notes & Suggestions
- Pre-warm cans using a hot water bath (> 140°F) or store on a hot surface (i.e. kettle dome or boiler room)